Easy Brown Sugar Cookies

Wednesday, March 18, 2015


I'm always pinning recipes on Pinterest. I have a whole board just for cookies. I'm always adding cookie recipes that I want to make, but hardly ever find the time to make any of them.


Until last night! I had a craving for cookies but didn't have the time to wait for butter to soften and didn't feel like pulling the stand mixer out. This recipe was so easy to put together and I had all the ingredients! You mix everything together in one bowl and you could have cookies ready in just 30 minutes!

These cookies are big and chewy. They aren't too sweet and really buttery. The whole family loved them!


The recipe comes from the Serious Eats website. I did make a few changes and I'll note them in parentheses next to the original directions. I ended up over-baking mine a little bit, but they were still yummy. I would totally make these again!

Easy Brown Sugar Cookies
Yield: Makes 14-16 cookies (I got 14)

Ingredients
14 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar,divided
3.4 tsp salt
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Directions

1.  Adjust two oven racks to upper and lower middle positions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.  Stir melted butter, 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl until combined.

3.  Stir in egg and vanilla, until combined.  Add flour, baking powder and baking soda to bowl and stir until well combined.

4.  Scoop 1/4 cup-sized balls of dough onto baking sheets. (I used less than this, maybe a little more than 1/8 cup.)  Add the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar to the empty unwashed bowl.

5.  Roll each dough ball in the brown sugar and return to baking sheet. Press to about 1 inch thick.

6.  Bake until tops have puffed and cracked (mine never really cracked) and edges are golden, about 9 to 11 minutes (I kept putting mine back because they weren't cracking, so mine were in the oven for closer to 15 minutes).

7.  Let cool on pans for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.


Since I baked mine a little longer, they were crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. My husband prefers crispier cookies, so he loved these!  If you make these, let me know how they turn out!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!